How to apply for Wyoming WIC

View the steps to apply for the Wyoming WIC program. The Wyoming Department of Health administrates WIC in the state including the application process. View the steps below to see if you qualify, and if so, what you need to do to apply. If you still have questions or issues about the application process, you can contact the Wyoming WIC office for assistance.

WIC Prescreening

Before you start the Wyoming WIC application process, you can use the online prescreening tool to see if you qualify. Please note, this tool is not considered an application. You will still need to follow the application process for this state. It takes about 15 minutes to complete the prescreening tool.

Wyoming WIC Eligibility

To Be Eligible for WIC in Wyoming, you or your child must:

Meet Wyoming WIC Income Guidelines. WIC income eligibility guidelines are based on household size and income. You may already meet the income guidelines if you are on:

  • Medicaid
  • SNAP, or
  • Work First Family Assistance

Have a health risk factor based on:

  • Height & weight measurements
  • Blood test for low iron
  • Health history
  • Diet history

Applying for WIC in Wyoming

To start the application process for Wyoming WIC benefits, you need to contact your local WIC clinic and schedule an appointment. With some exceptions, each person applying for the Wyoming WIC program must be physically present at the clinic at the time of application.

What you need for your appointment

You need to bring the following items to your first appointment:

Proof of Identity
You need to bring proof of ID for each family member applying for WY WIC such as:

  • Current driver's license
  • Original or certified copy of birth certificate
  • Military or tribal ID
  • Original Social Security card
  • Wyoming ID card
  • Passport/US government ID
  • Foster child legal papers
  • Work/School ID
  • Wyoming WIC card
  • Mexican Consulate Card
  • Hospital documentation
  • Mexican Electoral Card
  • Immunization record

Proof of Income
Proof of current income for everyone living in the household, for example:

  • Check stubs
  • SNAP eligibility notice
  • Child support/alimony
  • Student award letter
  • WY Medicaid verification
  • TANF award letter
  • Disability Assistance (SSI)
  • Unemployment letter/notice
  • Foster placement/award letter
  • Verification of WIC certification/VOC
  • Military Leave and Earnings Statement (LES)
  • Written statement from employer
  • Savings/Checking/CD account(s)
  • W-2 form or tax returns
  • Self-employment documentation

Proof of Address
You need to bring proof of your physical address. One of the following:

  • Bank statement with address
  • Rental agreement
  • Car registration/insurance
  • Rent or mortgage receipts
  • Utility or other bill
  • SNAP eligibility notice
  • Government mail with current postmark
  • Written statement from employer or landlord
  • W-2 or tax return

Your children up to age five and blood work results (Hematocrit or Hemoglobin) if available.

Wyoming eWIC System

Wyoming uses the WYO W.E.S.T. This replaces paper checks and vouchers with a Wyoming WIC EBT (Electronic benefit transfer) Card. When purchasing WIC approved foods at your local grocery store, you would hand the cashier your WYO W.E.S.T. Card and they will swipe it like a debit or credit card. From there the POS system will deduct the amount from your current WIC balance.

Also, instead of having to visit your local WIC clinic each month, your Wyoming WIC EBT Card is automatically refilled electronically.

What if my WIC card is lost or stolen?
Call the last store where you used your card to determine if you left it there. Look around your house and in your car to see if it was misplaced. Call your local WIC office to see if it was returned. Call your local WIC clinic or the WIC Help desk number to have your card locked, so that if someone finds your card, it cannot be used.

If your card is replaced, you will not have access to your benefits for at least 48 hours. You must return to your local WIC office to get your card replaced. WIC benefits may be delayed if your card is replaced in the last two days of the month.

If you need help with your Wisconsin eWIC card, you can contact the help desk at 888-WYO-West Monday - Friday from 8am to 5pm.

How long can I be on WIC?

Wyoming WIC is considered to be a short-term program. A person receiving benefits "graduates" once their certification period ends. The certification period is the length of time a person is eligible to receive WY WIC benefits. Depending on the applicant's condition, either pregnant, postpartum, breastfeeding, or an infant/child, an eligible person will usually receive these benefits for up to 6 months to a year. Once they have reached the end of that time, they must apply for Wyoming WIC again if they want to continue using it.

WIC waiting list

In some cases, if the state agency does not have enough money to serve everyone who needs WIC, they must keep a list called a waiting list. This contains a list of individuals who want to apply for the Wyoming WIC program and are likely to be served. The state agency will then use a special system, called a Priority System, that will allow them to determine who is eligible to receive WY WIC benefits next once more people can be served.

The reason for this priority system is to make sure that services and benefits are available right away to participants who need it most, which are people with serious health conditions such as anemia (low blood levels), history of pregnancy problems or being underweight.

Planning to move

Anyone currently on Wyoming WIC that is planning to move, including out of state, can continue receiving WIC benefits until their certification period expires. In order to do that, they must provide proof that they are receiving benefits when they move to their new location. In most cases the staff will provide you with a special card called the Verification of Certification Card (VOC).

To obtain proof, contact your current WY WIC clinic to let them know your plans. When you move, you will need to call your local WIC clinic near your new location and schedule an appointment so you can show them the proof. Make sure to take the special card with you to the appointment to show proof.