How to apply for Oregon WIC

View the steps to apply for the Oregon WIC program. The Oregon Health Authority administrates WIC in the state including the application process. View the steps below to see if you qualify, and if so, what you need to do to apply. If you still have questions or issues about the application process, you can contact the Oregon WIC office for assistance.

WIC Prescreening

Before you start the Oregon WIC application process, you can use the online prescreening tool to see if you qualify. Please note, this tool is not considered an application. You will still need to follow the application process for this state. It takes about 15 minutes to complete the prescreening tool.

Oregon WIC Eligibility

The Oregon WIC program serves lower-income pregnant, postpartum and breastfeeding women, infants and children under age 5 who have health or nutrition risks. Many working families are part of WIC. Applicants must meet four criteria to be eligible for WIC:

  • Live in Oregon
  • Be a pregnant, postpartum or breastfeeding woman
  • Be an infant or a child under 5 years old
  • Have a household income less than 185% of the federal poverty limit. Individuals who can prove Fully eligible for Medicaid/Oregon Health Plan, TANF, SNAP/Food Stamps or FDPIR are automatically income eligible for WIC
  • Have a nutritional need or risk

To find out if you are income eligible, view the Oregon WIC Income Guidelines.

Applying for WIC in Oregon

To start the application process for the Oregon WIC program you need to contact the local WIC clinic near you to schedule an appointment. Or if you need assistance in finding a WIC clinic close by, you can call 211 or 800-735-2900.

Oregon eWIC System

Oregon uses the eWIC system. This replaces paper checks and vouchers with a Oregon WIC EBT (Electronic benefit transfer) Card. This allows you to purchase WIC approved foods at your local grocery store. At checkout you can hand the cashier your OR WIC EBT Card and they will swipe your card like a credit or debit card and their POS system will deduct the amount from your current WIC balance.

Also, instead of going to your local WIC program each month to pickup more paper checks or vouchers, your Oregon WIC EBT Card will be automatically refilled electronically. You should call the eWIC Customer Service at 844-234-4946 if:

  • Your card is lost, stolen or damaged
  • You need to reset or change your PIN
  • You think your receipt doesn't match what you bought

PIN/Card Replacement
If you forget your PIN, call eWIC Customer Service at 844-234-4946 or log on to to change it. If your card is lost, stolen or damaged, call eWIC Customer Service at 844-234-4946.

How long can I be on WIC?

Oregon WIC is considered to be a short-term program. A person receiving benefits "graduates" once their certification period ends. The certification period is the length of time a person is eligible to receive OR WIC benefits. Depending on the applicant's condition, either pregnant, postpartum, breastfeeding, or an infant/child, an eligible person will usually receive these benefits for up to 6 months to a year. Once they have reached the end of that time, they must apply for Oregon WIC again if they want to continue using it.

WIC waiting list

In some cases, if the state agency does not have enough money to serve everyone who needs WIC, they must keep a list called a waiting list. This contains a list of individuals who want to apply for the Oregon WIC program and are likely to be served. The state agency will then use a special system, called a Priority System, that will allow them to determine who is eligible to receive OR WIC benefits next once more people can be served.

The reason for this priority system is to make sure that services and benefits are available right away to participants who need it most, which are people with serious health conditions such as anemia (low blood levels), history of pregnancy problems or being underweight.

Planning to move

Anyone currently on Oregon WIC that is planning to move, including out of state, can continue receiving WIC benefits until their certification period expires. In order to do that, they must provide proof that they are receiving benefits when they move to their new location. In most cases the staff will provide you with a special card called the Verification of Certification Card (VOC).

To obtain proof, contact your current OR WIC clinic to let them know your plans. When you move, you will need to call your local WIC clinic near your new location and schedule an appointment so you can show them the proof. Make sure to take the special card with you to the appointment to show proof.