How to apply for Alaska WIC

View the steps to apply for the Alaska WIC program. The Alaska Department of Health and Social Services administrates WIC in the state including the application process. View the steps below to see if you qualify, and if so, what you need to do to apply. If you still have questions or issues about the application process, you can contact the Alaska WIC office for assistance.

WIC Prescreening

Before you start the Alaska WIC application process, you can use the online prescreening tool to see if you qualify. Please note, this tool is not considered an application. You will still need to follow the application process for this state. It takes about 15 minutes to complete the prescreening tool.

Applying for WIC in Alaska

To apply for the Alaska WIC program you will need to call your local WIC clinic to schedule an appointment. To download the Alaska WIC application and fill it out before your appointment, click here. When you call your local WIC clinic, let them know you want to apply and that you have completed the application form.

The WIC staff will let you know what to do with the application. If you live in a town that has an Alaska WIC office, you will be given an appointment or information about walk-in hours. If you live in a town that does not have a WIC clinic, your application will be processed by mail.

What you need for your appointment

When attending your appointment, you need to bring the following information:

  • Completed application forms
  • Proof of income for yourself and child
  • Proof of identification
  • Each infant/child you are applying
  • Proof of Pregnancy if you are pregnant
  • Immunization cards for each child

Fathers and grandparents are welcome and encouraged to bring their natural or foster children to see if they qualify for services. If you or your children are income eligible for Food Stamps, Medicaid, Denali Kid Care, School Lunch or Head Start and Alaska Temporary Assistance Program then your income meets WIC guidelines.

View the Alaska WIC Income Guidelines to see if you meet the requirements. WIC eligibility for income is based on gross income, before taxes are taken out. Total income includes all of your family's PFDs. When pregnant, your unborn child counts as a family member.

How long can I be on WIC?

Alaska WIC is considered to be a short-term program. A person receiving benefits "graduates" once their certification period ends. The certification period is the length of time a person is eligible to receive AK WIC benefits. Depending on the applicant's condition, either pregnant, postpartum, breastfeeding, or an infant/child, an eligible person will usually receive these benefits for up to 6 months to a year. Once they have reached the end of that time, they must apply for Alaska WIC again if they want to continue using it.

WIC waiting list

In some cases, if the state agency does not have enough money to serve everyone who needs WIC, they must keep a list called a waiting list. This contains a list of individuals who want to apply for the Alaska WIC program and are likely to be served. The state agency will then use a special system, called a Priority System, that will allow them to determine who is eligible to receive AK WIC benefits next once more people can be served.

The reason for this priority system is to make sure that services and benefits are available right away to participants who need it most, which are people with serious health conditions such as anemia (low blood levels), history of pregnancy problems or being underweight.

Planning to move

Anyone currently on Alaska WIC that is planning to move, including out of state, can continue receiving WIC benefits until their certification period expires. In order to do that, they must provide proof that they are receiving benefits when they move to their new location. In most cases the staff will provide you with a special card called the Verification of Certification Card (VOC).

To obtain proof, contact your current AK WIC clinic to let them know your plans. When you move, you will need to call your local WIC clinic near your new location and schedule an appointment so you can show them the proof. Make sure to take the special card with you to the appointment to show proof.